‘Tis the season for fried green tomatoes. My boss gave me about 6-7 green tomatoes and instead of letting them ripen, I decided to bread and freeze them until I was ready to eat them. Best. Decision. Ever.
Breading consisted of equal parts bread crumbs and corn meal with a little salt and pepper. Dip in egg, dip in batter. Place on sheet pan in freezer and then place in ziplock bag when frozen.
What makes this even better? When you are ready to fry them babies up, you don’t even have to thaw them out! Place them directly in your hot oil.
I served mine on toasted sourdough bread with thinly sliced purple onions and cilantro lime mayo.
Cilantro Lime Mayo
[For two sandwiches]
- Juice from 1/2 of a lime
- 4 tbsp mayo
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Until the next tomato fries,
We Are The Marshall’s
Couldn’t sleep this morning, so I decided to get up and make biscuits from scratch. Not going to lie, I have never done it! I’ve made homemade tortillas, rolls, bread, etc, but never biscuits for breakfast! I found a recipe and tweaked it a tad and it turned out perfect!
EASY BISCUITS (Makes about 6-8 biscuits)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (one stick) butter/cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425
- I sprayed my ceramic coated cast iron dutch oven with nonstick spray [you can use a regular cast iron if you have one]
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients
- I didn’t “precise” measure or level off, I just scooped and went.
- Add butter into mixture until it starts to get a cornmeal texture.
- I nuked the butter to make it a little softer [about 15 seconds]
- Make a well and add milk
- Knead until dough forms [this part was super sticky and messy]
- I added more flour as needed
- Roll out dough on floured countertop
- You can make them as thick as you want, but I made mine about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a biscuit cutter or cup to cut out biscuits and place on greased skillet and put in oven.
- Bake about 12-16 minutes [all ovens are different] – tops of biscuits need to be slightly golden brown.
- ENJOY! These are super flaky & delicious!
We paired these biscuits with homemade sausage gravy and sausage patties! Comfort food at it’s finest!
Until next time.
We Are The Marshall’s
We just got back from vacation on Friday and my sweet husband had to leave yesterday to go out of town for a week for work. Bummer. With him being gone, it’s just Rhett and I to hold down the fort and I wanted to make this weeks dinners super easy!