Couldn’t sleep this morning, so I decided to get up and make biscuits from scratch. Not going to lie, I have never done it! I’ve made homemade tortillas, rolls, bread, etc, but never biscuits for breakfast! I found a recipe and tweaked it a tad and it turned out perfect!
EASY BISCUITS (Makes about 6-8 biscuits)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (one stick) butter/cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425
- I sprayed my ceramic coated cast iron dutch oven with nonstick spray [you can use a regular cast iron if you have one]
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients
- I didn’t “precise” measure or level off, I just scooped and went.
- Add butter into mixture until it starts to get a cornmeal texture.
- I nuked the butter to make it a little softer [about 15 seconds]
- Make a well and add milk
- Knead until dough forms [this part was super sticky and messy]
- I added more flour as needed
- Roll out dough on floured countertop
- You can make them as thick as you want, but I made mine about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a biscuit cutter or cup to cut out biscuits and place on greased skillet and put in oven.
- Bake about 12-16 minutes [all ovens are different] – tops of biscuits need to be slightly golden brown.
- ENJOY! These are super flaky & delicious!
We paired these biscuits with homemade sausage gravy and sausage patties! Comfort food at it’s finest!
Until next time.
We Are The Marshall’s
Alright all you busy moms, listen up!
Who made a New Years resolution? Who has actually stuck with it for almost the entire month of January?
It is SO hard to commit to be fit and healthy when you are a working mom. I’m guilty of being the person who doesn’t watch what I eat but then gripe because I gain weight. C’mon moms, I’m not the only one.
So, the following recipe is a super easy AND healthy. And guess what? No morning prep time! You can make this at night in about… 2 minutes. For real! Instead of stopping in the drive through to pick up your morning sausage biscuit, just grab this out of your fridge.
- Personal blender [regular sized blender will work just fine]
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 cup almond milk [Just eyeball it, doesn’t have to be perfect]
- 6-7 strawberries [any kind of berry will work]
- 1 tbsp non-fat Greek yogurt
- Place almond milk in personal blender
- Add banana [just break it up before you place it in there]
- Add strawberries
- Add peanut butter
- Add Greek yogurt
- Blend until smooth
• The Blender was purchased at Wal-Mart for less than $20! Totally worth the buy.
•For an even more heart healthy breakfast, add 1/4 cup quick oats [uncooked]. For best results on this, make it that morning. When left in fridge overnight, texture can be a little off putting.