Fall is here, the leaves are changing colors and the weather is starting to stay cool which means it’s time for some comfort food. So what do you eat on a cold, fall Sunday? Soup! Ever since we’ve started the subscription to Blue Apron, we really have neglected the grocery store and keeping our pantry “stocked” full of food. But really, there hasn’t been a point. We’ve finished our Blue Apron meals for the week and we are craving some fall comfort food. Taco Soup it is! I scrounge through the pantry cabinets to see what we can throw together. It’s all there! This recipe is literally just thrown together and “soup-er” easy to make [hence the name].
“Soup-er” Easy Taco Soup
- 1 lb ground beef – cooked and drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can black beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans – drained
- 2 cans Rotel [regular diced tomatoes will work]
- 1 can chicken broth [beef or vegetable broth will work]
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 package of dip mix [Ranch dip, Fiesta Ranch, etc. I used a Fire Roasted Pepper dip mix]
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh [or frozen] chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh [or frozen] chopped onions
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper [to taste]
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Green onions [diced]
- Tortilla chips
How To Make it:
I used a cast iron dutch oven for this, but you can use a large stock pot or even a crock pot.
- Place onions and bell peppers in pot and sauté
- While the meat was browning in a separate pan, I added all the ingredients to the pot [not including the toppings]
- Add the browned meat, stir, cover and simmer for about an hour
- [Crock pot – 2 hours on high, or 4 on low]
- When serving add a dollap of sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions and garnish with a tortilla chip
Now, in all seriousness [not really], Tommy thinks his “display” looks better than mine – what do ya’ll think??
[Mine on the Left, Tommy’s on the Right]
We hope everyone enjoys this recipe as much as we did. [And this is why I am making this recipe my Recipe of the Month for November 2015] Comfort food starts with family, and our family is what created this recipe.
Happy Fall Ya’ll!
Love, The Marshall’s.